Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Practice Goals

***Edit*** 
A fellow archery club friend informed me that I will only be shooting at 70m at the State championship. Gulp-better move that sight soon!

I've decided to compete at my state championship later in August. This means more practice and more focus all around.

I've been working for so long on my form that I've haven't sighted in different distances. The competition takes place at 50m, 60m, and 70m. I have 50m figured out but not dialed into incrementally. The others will come as soon as the weather cooperates. Today it was raining off and on and the wind was just strong enough that I didn't want to risk any long distances. As soon as I have another day, I will work at sighting in 60m.

Apart from safety, the other reason for not risking arrows in the wind is I am low on them. Nocks have popped off and I may have lost a point or two to an arrow kiss with a target stand. Time to re-glue and in some cases I will have to re-fletch. Note to self-order twice the amount of spare parts you think you will need because you will inevitably use them up. I'm sticking to the cheap stuff for now because I really want my next major purchase to be new limbs. I've reconciled myself that it may not be as high as 34# but I will make the first jump by the end of the year. Still using Easton Apollo carbon shafts for now although I could see myself playing around with carbon ones, next time I order. I'm also interested in trying out a few other brands. No point in spending money on items I'll use up very fast. I am tempted to try these vanes but not until they cost less than my arrows. Lastly, I may need to invest in a jig for accurate vane placement and strings-ugh, I need to learn more about how bow strings are made and string count and all that jazz.

My shot sequence is coming along! The work will never end there but for now, I've figured out muscle position to align that tightrope of bones between my arms and shoulders. Remembering to shift my weight makes a huge difference. I couldn't figure out why my arrows were hugging the upper right side of my blank bale and I've realized there are so many planes that I have to line up between my bow and my body. If one thing is off everything will be off. My arrows were going to the right because my release was very sloppy and was my string alignment. It's tighter now but still evolving. I've watched so many archers now to learn form that I don't want to force my hand and shoulder to move a way that isn't natural to me. I tried out a few things today with my release that seemed natural and made my arrows fly straighter and group better. Once I'm comfortable with the release I'll make it tighter and repeat it over and over.

I'm hoping to have another archery lesson before state and show my coach major improvement from our previous lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment